points on "correctness" for hw5
Stephen Tu
2008-07-28 01:21:38 UTC
hello,

my question pertains to the grading of our ALU. now, considering the ALU
is a very common logical unit, i'm sure there have been some "best
practices" established for how to make certain components like the
adder, shifter, etc. do we stand to lose any stylistic points if we
implement a unit that works but doesn't necessary adhere to how it is
commonly constructed in industry?
[Instr] Albert Chae
2008-07-29 02:37:26 UTC
I think you're slightly misusing the term "correctness". A circuit
is correct if it outputs the correct output for every possible
combination of inputs. So you do need to have correct circuits.

You don't have to worry about trying to create industry standard
circuits... logisim is only a toy program anyway. Also, just like
with many other engineering choices in this class, there is no single
best implementation. It depends on the circumstances.

Albert