Diff between index and assoc based
[Instr] Albert Chae
2008-08-10 21:19:24 UTC
Oh yeah, that just means the "associativity" unit. So you have as
many of those as the amount of associativity you have.

Albert
When you config under "associativity based", the cache display shows different
units. But if it doesn't affect our code, it don't matter. Thanks.
Those are just different ways to view the cache. You won't have to worry
about it in all in your code.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Unit". Could I get more context?
Albert
In the cache configuration, what exactly is the difference between Index
(Set)
based and Associativity Based? What is a "Unit" and do we care?
Thnks
[Instr] Albert Chae

Thnks
[Instr] Albert Chae
2008-08-10 23:46:59 UTC
Say you have a 2 way SA cache with 4 sets total.

You can think of it as:

Set 0: block a0, block b0
Set 1: block a1, block b1
Set 2: block a2, block b2
Set 3: block a3, block b3

Or

Unit a: block a0, block a1, block a2, block a3
Unit b: block b0, block b1, block b2, block b3

That's all that changing that view mode does.

Albert
So these "associativity units" are different from "Index (Set)"s how?