HW 5 shift amount
EECS Instructional Account
2008-07-30 00:35:53 UTC
Does the fact that I can only shift by amount the given by 4 bits mean
that this ALU can only shift from 0 to 15 bits to the right or left?
Basically, I should not be able to do a 16 bit shift on this ALU?
[Instr] Albert Chae
2008-07-30 06:25:50 UTC
Yes, what you say is correct. We don't really care about shifting by
more than 15 because that would just zero out the value (or fill it
with 1's if it was a sign extend).

Albert