HW5: Shifter overkill question
Jeremy Cowles
2008-07-28 22:34:41 UTC
I implemented the full 16 bit shamt shifter because I missed the line in the
spec that tells you to ignore bits > 4 in shamt. Is it ok to leave it like
this, or should I remove the additional logic so it ignores the bits greater
than the first 4?

Thanks,
Jeremy
[Instr] Albert Chae

Jeremy
Jeremy Cowles
Jeremy
[Instr] Albert Chae

Jeremy
[Instr] Albert Chae
2008-07-29 02:50:19 UTC
Why would we care about having the shamt be negative when we can just
select the direction of the shift? Nobody wants to think about shifting
-5 bits left; that's too confusing.

Albert

P.S. Don't forget what we talked about today.
I was going to ask if shamt could be a negative value, but I guess the answer
is no, unless we go 8 one way and 8 the other. Since I probably shouldn't
have posted this, but as ever, I have OCD on fact checking, I will add the
thought that maybe this has something to do with the way the barrel shifter
works. OOps. nobody is supposed to pay attention to what a barrel shifter
http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs150/fa05/HWs/HW10sol.doc