memcpy vs accessDRAM?
Jeremy Cowles
2008-08-10 02:38:28 UTC
I might be missing the point but I don't see why we need to personally use
memcpy as stated in the instructions. Memcpy seems to do exactly the same
thing as accessDRAM, and in the files, accessDRAM is uses memcpy to
implement
itself...so any explanations?
I asked the same question earlier, haven't heard anything from Albert or TA
yet though...

Jeremy
[Instr] Albert Chae
2008-08-10 16:18:26 UTC
This is to create a clean interface for the simulator. Remember that
the cache is usually part of the CPU, so it makes sense that we use
memcpy to directly transfer data from cache to CPU. The RAM usually
resides elsewhere, however, so our only way to talk to it is with
accessDRAM, which happens to use memcpy right now but could be replaced
with something for simulating memory.

Albert